I like this goal; it really prompts me to think about trying new recipes instead of the tried and tested favourites. This recipe is Caramelized Onion Bread from the Ultimate Bread Machine Cookbook. Yes, I'm lazy, I use a bread machine and I LOVE it! I received it from the Outlaws as a birthday gift a few years ago and boy, is it dangerous. It makes bread making so easy and there's nothing like waking up to the smell of freshly baked bread. I do however, have certain 'control' issues where bread is concerned, and whilst I love bread, it loves me right back and keeps on loving, especially round the hips *lol* M won't eat anything more exotic than plain white, so all the really interesting breads I end up eating on my own *sigh*
Okay, here's the recipe:
50 gms butter or soya spread which is what I use, 2 chopped onions, 280 ml water, 1 tbsp clear honey, 450 gms bread flour (the recipe calls for white flour, but I like wholemeal), 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, 1 1/2 tsp dried yeast.
Use the butter/spread to gently saute the onions, then strain the butter or spread into the bread pan, keeping the onions to one side. Put the rest of the ingredients into your bread pan in the order required by your machine (eg, wet then dry, or dry then wet.) Use the bread cycle needed for the flour you're using (white or wholemeal). Add the onions before the last kneading cycle. Some machines beep to let you know when this is! Bake and enjoy with soup or salad! Very yummy! I have a craft fair tomorrow so I shall be taking a slice or two, with some salad for my lunch. Mmmm.
My machine is about 1 1/2 lb bread size, and this quantity was a little too much for my machine. Some of it dripped over the sides. Next time I'll make a little less. If you have a larger machine, it should be okay. I think the book says to use the dough cycle and turn it onto a baking tray and make it into a round shape....blah blah blah, I'm far too busy for that!
Two down, ten to go!
No comments:
Post a Comment