Yay! I've been meaning to do this and we had really strong wind the other day, so I decided to get out there and pick fruit whilst it was still on the tree. We've had this young fruit tree out at the front of our house since we moved in about 7 years ago. The year before last it unexpectedly fruited with these small green fruits which took me months to pluck up the courage to try. Lo and behold they were actually greengages (small sweet green plums!). Last year the wind was so strong at springtime that all the blossom blew off and it didn't fruit, but this year, it's laden with fruit!
Lovely sweet green plums!

The preserve sugar I used:

Plums preserving: at this stage they're being boiled to within an inch of their lives....

The sugar has been added, it's all been boiled and then jarred. Can't wait to try it!

This is the very vintage recipe book I used. It used to belong to my Mum. Yeah, we're a family of hippies (well, us girls at least; the boys are still carnivores!)

I still have loads of fruit left, so I may make another batch. I'm thinking greengage and elderberry jam this time....
This goal is completed: 24.08.07
No comments:
Post a Comment