Wednesday, 27 August 2008

48. Learn how to glass etch. COMPLETED 26.08.08

Hurray! I get to tick off another goal! This one was learning how to glass etch and I had some etching cream sent to me all the way from America from Frosty (appropriate name don't you think?), so I decided to try it out yesterday! I got one of the glasses from the kitchen to test run it on and as I don't have the stencils the instructions seem to go on about, I decided to use masking tape; the crafters friend! I made a square using masking tape, then decided to fill it with little motifs. I have these paddle punches with little shapes on that I originally got for punching felt out with, but they don't work brilliantly with felt, maybe they will with wool felt, but synthetic felt is a real pain! Anyway, I selected this lovely butterfly punch and punched out three butterflies.

I stuck them to the glass

And paying attention to the safety procedures (wearing rubber gloves and safety goggles) I brushed the glass with the etching cream and left it for around 10 minutes or so. The instructions say 5 minutes, but I went upstairs for a minute and ho-hum, got distracted, you know how it is!

Then I washed the cream off, yes, wearing my gloves, and here we go! A lovely butterfly glass! I think it's adorable and I can see lots of potential with this! Hmmm, people may be getting glassware from me this year! I'm going to put it in the dishwasher today to test run the durability! 

1 comment:

Littlelou said...

Well done you, Im inspired. I wanna shot, I wanna shot. Hmm..may have an excuse to shop..thank you